RE: EDI 867 Implementation, further comments

Bill:
	I appreciate your calling to mind the "same rules" rule, but I
think that your dismissal, nevertheless, of any subgroup effort to
follow those rules was just a bit off the mark.
	While the subgroups may be "casual" or, as you like to put it,
"free-wheeling", they are hardly anarchic.  There is a sign-in sheet at
every meeting and people are pretty conscientious about getting signed
in.  So, first and foremost, we do know what parties are represented
and, whenever someone should ask, we can readily determine voting
membership.  This small blessing we have, in that there has been so few
parliamentary hassles at the subgroup level, should hardly serve to
eliminate the rules for when they are needed.
	Secondly, let me ask all concerned: Where was everyone, who now
think they have a better idea, when the EDI issue was being discussed
over the last 2-3 months?  What happened to our general understanding
that "silence is consent"?
	SoCal Gas' request to reconsider the EDI issue was certainly in
order, but I am having a lot of trouble with the presumptuousness with
which some participants are treating that request as a "done deal".  It
is most inappropriate for the plenary facilitators to take such
heavy-handed procedural postures, especially putting an "alternate"
proposal on the agenda that was not vetted through our subgroup system.
Jim's apparent patience with this treatment is to be admired, but I want
to make the observation that such playing fast-and-loose with the rules
is a great discourtesy to those who endeavor to work through the
established protocols.  When it comes time for the Commission to
consider the weight it gives to the products of this workgroup, it will
surely consider the actual methods sustained throughout the life of the
workgroup more than the stirring proclamations of fairness and due
process adopted at its onset.
	-- Anthony Mazy, ORA

.