RE: Questions about Interval VEE rules

Just to contribute what I can on this split hair, I agree that the power
outage is a valid data point.  After the outage, it would be more
appropriate in many cases to use the adjacent hours in interpolating
gaps (even if they were the periods during the outage), because for
non-residential customers the effects of an outage (even a sort one, for
some customers) can last for several hours before their operations are
back to normal.  In other words, the hour of the outage could provide a
better measure for the hour after the outage than would the same hour of
day from the customer's normal day.

Of course, this reasoning does not apply to gaps BEFORE the outage, for
which a normal day's usage would be the better estimate.  Maybe we need
to distinguish hours before vs. after outages.  (Sorry for more
splitting of hairs, but there is a difference.)

On a separate issue, it seems that it is already understood that the day
with the outage should not be used in estimating gaps on other days.

---
Jim Price, ORA, jep@cpuc.ca.gov

.