RE: Your "Future Directions" Posting on MDM PSWG site

Thanks for the comments, Ed.  I note, however, that some of your
arguments would actually support moving quickly to EDI.

I'm not suggesting that any of the start-up data problems have been due
to the transport mechanism, and in fact my proposed text states that the
current transport mechanism appears adequate for the initial market
needs.  One point, though, is that consistent use of EDI can help to
avoid problems that are created by having disjointed systems, e.g.,
DASRs in one format and meter reads in a different format, and ending up
with disjointed data -- if there are problems with data being
misapplied, the problems can be fixed easier if there are fewer types of
systems to fix.  If having a standard electronic form for communication
is an issue (and I agree that it is), that's an argument for migrating
the meter reads to the same format that's used for DASRs and for
billing, as quickly as possible, i.e., EDI.  Another point in my
proposed text is that national (and international) bodies are developing
standards for the Internet transport mechanism, and that we will have an
easier time implementing new transport mechanism standards once they're
adopted if we have first implemented permanent standards for the data
format.

Maintaining consistency between states is a goal that has been raised by
many parties, including the utilities at times.  Perhaps we've had the
misfortune of having to create interim standards because of going first,
but by January 1999 other states will have caught up with us and will be
using permanent standards that are just as easy for us to adopt as it
has been for the other states -- they've had their legacy systems to
deal with too.  Failing to be consistent with standards that are in use
by multiple other states would erect a barrier to market entry in
California as the national market develops.

---
Jim Price, ORA, jep@cpuc.ca.gov

.